BREEAM Assessment in Offices & Retail
BREEAM Environmental Assessments
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Assessment Method) was introduced in the summer of 1990 and has become the most widely used method of environmental assessment for buildings. BREEAM helps construction professionals to understand and minimise the environmental impact of the developments they design and construct.
- Enhanced marketability of buildings for developments
- Improved working environment for employees
- Better corporate image for the tenants
- Beneficial investment returns for developers
- Lower legal and insurance costs for tenants
- Reduce building running costs
- Promotion and rewards for innovation
The BREEAM environmental assessment for the different types of building developments are briefly detailed as follows:
BREEAM Retail Assessments
BREEAM Retail is used to undertake environmental assessments for most types of retail development, for various different stakeholders, including property developers, managing agents, landlords and tenants. Environmental assessments can be carried out for single units or whole developments. The assessments can be conducted at any stage of the building life cycle:
- New build
- Major refurbishment
- Tenant fit-out
- Existing occupied building - Management and Operation Assessment
BREEAM Retail assesses the following retail developments:
- Customer service retail - banks, travel agencies, building societies, dry cleaners etc
- Food retail - supermarkets, general stores with food retail sections and shops selling food for consumption off the premises
- General display and sale of goods – Shopping centres, DIY stores, showrooms and all general retail outlets
BREEAM Offices Assessments
BREEAM Offices is used worldwide reviewing and improving the environmental performance of office buildings. BREEAM Office assessments can be used for assessing the environmental impact of occupied, non occupied, new and existing office buildings, for example:
- New build or refurbishment – design and procurement
- The management and operation of existing / occupied offices
The Code for Sustainable Homes & Ecohomes Assessments
For details of Code for Sustainable Homes and Ecohomes Assessments please see
BREEAM Domestic Assessments
Contact our Energy Certification & BREEAM Assessment Specialists
We have fully trained assessors dealing with all aspects of BREEAM Assessment and Energy Certification.
James Forster – BREEAM Offices, Ecohomes, The Code for Sustainable Homes, SBEM calculations, Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’s) and Display Energy Certificates (DEC’s).
Andrew Jagger – BREEAM Retail, Ecohomes, SBEM Calculations, Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’s) and Display Energy Certificates (DEC’s).
To discuss any of these issues relating to your project Andrew and James can be contacted on 01274 687755 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org